Passionate, responsible and committed software developer, with a driven mindset and a passion for code. With much experience in designing, implementing and adapting technically sophisticated online web applications.
Professional Ruby & Rails Blogger
RailsRumble 2014 & 2015
- 2014: As part of a code competition I built an interface for scraping YouTube videos and wrote some helper methods to take advantage of creating embedded website videos. Also one of the core developers for Rails in the project.
- 2015: 48 hours with a team of people I’d never previously worked with we built TrenderCast which is a podcast subscription and trends system. This product was my vision and I was the primary Rails developer on this project with 3 others participating.
- Designed full website automation for popular sites using Watir and Watir-webdriver in the Ruby language.
- Designed a script to pay all site members who’ve authored content; all appropriate fees for students memberships, and subscriptions, via the PayPal API using Python.
- Designed and deployed a full eCommerce website built on top of the Satchmo/Django framework using Python.
- Designed an application to record basketball tournament data and rank teams on many different criteria. I designed my own flat file database system to keep records in CSV. This was used to rank a multi-day interstate basketball tournament.
Open Source Contributions
- Charity Rails development for Virginia Working Landscapes [link]. I’ve joined a team of developers in providing free software development for helping catalog living things in nature. This information can then be used to help determine issues and be of help to protect any living species that may be endangered.
- Minor contributions to several Open Source projects including Ruby, Rails, RubyGems, RVM, and OmniContacts
- Authored FasterPath – makes Ruby on Rails site run much faster by rewriting overly used path methods in Rust (a lower systems level language)
- Authored PolyBelongsTo – An advanced Rails – ActiveRecord relationship library.
- Authored DynaSpan – A Rails Ajax helper gem for creating dynamically modifiable text on web pages.
- Authored many other Open Source libraries available on Github.
- Open Source game released in 2002 called Py Connect Four written in Python using the PyGame SDL library
- Equivalent of 6+ years of consistent experience developing software with more than 10+ years of hobby development.
- Web Automation with: Mechanize, Nokogiri, Selenium, and Watir
- Moderate experience in: Agile, AJAX, Assembly, Bash, Batch, CGI, CMS, C++, Django, Feature Toggle, Kanban, Metaprogramming, OpenSSL, PostgreSQL, RSS, Satchmo, SEO, SOLID, Rust
- Studying: Permutation Algorithms, Rust
- US English (Native)
- Spanish (Elementary proficiency)
- Japanese (Elementary proficiency)
- Clark Christian High School 2003
Contact Me: 6ftdan (at) gmail (dot) com